As I write this, I am seated on a packed flight to the Windy City.
I have officially been my own boss for four months, but it’s felt longer and shorter all at the same time.
I call this the entrepreneur’s time zone. I am constantly reflecting on the past, planning for the future and delivering in the present moment.
I don’t know any other gear but full throttle when I am put in the driver’s seat.
For those who don’t know the journey I’ve had in the past year, it’s been a wonderful mix of thrills, terror and freedom.
Here’s a brief recap:
- I spent from 2015-2017 working at a couple of different marketing, advertising & product design companies as a project manager. (hello type A)
- MEND Jewelry was created at the beginning of 2017.
- MEND sold at handful of events & shows (on the weekend when I had time).
- MEND launched in three stores locally.
- In the fall of 2017, I was the recipient of a Twin Cities Start Up Award.
- By the end of 2017, I received venture capital funding & leapt forward to claim my CEO title.
To be clear: None of this just happened to me.
It all came to fruition because I let go of my fear of failure & went full steam ahead into achieving my overall purpose: build a business from the ground up, successfully.
Easier said than done, right?
Well, here are some of my company polices / core values / principles that drive me forward:
- Live Kindly: Life is too short to suffer unkind, cruel people. Be kind. Don’t hire, work or collaborate with assholes. Period.
- How you do anything is how you do everything: Do the job / work / task right in front you. How you do the work no one pays attention to is how you will complete the more important, impactful work. Do your job, do it well when no one is looking. NO EXCUSES.
- The more you learn, the faster you grow: Become a creature of curiosity. Challenge your own answers by asking for help, feedback & resources. Never stop soaking in new information from podcasts, books and interesting people.
- Use your face & voice: Don’t hide behind an email, text or any digital message. Show up in person, or call. This is crucial. Our technological world we live in can bombard us at times. Show your face and make the connection in person. It’s way more rewarding.
Now it’s your turn. Get after it & don’t look back.
Thank you to everyone who has believed in MEND, me & the vision.
There’s much more to come.
Back to work!